May 22, 2005

China bans naked sushi.

Really!
The practice of eating sushi off naked or nearly-naked women has long been popular with a certain clientele in Japan.

But the authorities in the Chinese city of Kunming criticised it ... as both unhygienic and an infringement of women's rights.

The Beijing Times newspaper said the new ban was introduced because serving food on women "insults people's moral quality".
It's interesting to think of all the things that haven't been outlawed because no one even wants to do them. I would have thought this would be one of those things, but apparently not.

6 comments:

tarpon said...

I just gotta go there -- how do you feel knowing that if you let someone eat sushi off you it's an infringement 'of women's right'.

I await your legal opinion.

Ann Althouse said...

Snooker: I'm thinking more: health code violation. That's assuming a restaurant. What you do in private with fish is your own business.

Pancho said...

I wonder if this extends to Texas? If so, the wife will be very disappointed.

Be said...

The sushi on women's bodies thing I remember in a PBS documentary tangential to the whole "Geisha Diaries" craze...for crying out loud - I'm surprised that you weren't all over this one years ago...

SAMPLES said...

On the most recent season of "Surreal Life," Vern Troyer, who played mini-me in the Austin Powers movies, ate sushi off of America's first top model. I thought the idea was concocted for the show; so, I too am surprised by the law.

Tim said...

If I remember that episode right, MC Hammer refused to eat the sushi off of the model. I don't recall, though, if it was because he thought it was unsanitary, disrespectful to the woman, or because he just didn't like raw fish.