September 25, 2005

And Eddie Izzard will play Mr. Kite.

In a movie called "Across the Universe":
It is a romantic musical, told mainly through Beatles songs, in which a young man from Liverpool comes to America during the Vietnam War to find his father, ending up in Greenwich Village.
I adore Eddie Izzard. Bono's in the movie too. It's directed by Julie Taymor, who did some pretty cool things bringing the story of Frida Kahlo to the screen. So even if you're skeptical of efforts to make productions out of Beatles songs -- based on things like this and this -- you can hold out some hope that this will be worthwhile.

4 comments:

k said...

Oh! Eddie Izzard! I *love* him! What great physical presence and what a wit. And how underappreciated!

Pat Patterson said...

Going to see a film about The Beatles, or a film with their music in it may strike a chord with an audience of a certain age. But I suspect that it, like my parents taking me to see a movie with Glenn Miller songs in the 60's, might be futile. I doubt that many 14yo boys are going to musicals even ones with the old Irish guy in them.

Jeff with one 'f' said...

Why does it sound like a Miramax remake of this:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0078239/

Matt Brown said...

Does Eddie still dress in women's clothing when he performs? Sometime ago I heard that he was a transvestite (don't know if he's "sweet" or not), and I saw him on TV once and he was wearing makeup.