September 25, 2005

Football mysteries.

I know I'm out of the loop, but I'd like to find out if the Badgers won last night's game. I got caught in the stadium traffic last night, but, as usual, I couldn't tell from looking at the people walking away from the game whether the team had won or lost. Now, I'm checking the local paper, and I can't tell from reading the article whether we won! Oh, wait, there's the phrase "winning drive" in the second to the last sentence in the article. Well, okay then! Here's the article in the other local paper, and I see it was one of the biggest wins for the team ever.
"I think that was probably the most unbelievable atmosphere I've ever been in in my life," Stocco said. "The fans are unbelievable. I couldn't believe how loud it was."
Strange. Can anyone tell me why there is zero celebratory attitude visible on the folks on the streets around the stadium? Is the midwestern demeanor really so restrained? There was nary a woo-hoo. And yet somehow we are the #1 party school in the country. After 20 years, there are things about Wisconsin I cannot fathom.

5 comments:

Troy said...

They're spent, tired, drunk, some or all of the above. Doing the football thing is tiring. After 3+ hours of cheering it's time to go home already or to another party.

Mark Daniels said...

The Badgers' win last night was a thing of absolute beauty. I got to see the game after a long day of helping our daughter and son-in-law move into a new apartment.

I myself am a Buckeye fan and was also happy to see my team win so convincingly yesterday.

Ann Althouse said...

I went to Michigan myself, by the way.

If I could have known how exciting the game was going to be, I would have watched it.

RPM said...

I guess it depended on your route. There were partiers spilling off the porches on Johnson, calling on all drivers to honk in celebration. It was much easier to notice on foot, running the high-five gauntlet of drunken revelers at every partying house.

I agree that some people were tired enough to suggest a loss. There seemed to be a letdown after expending so much energy during the game.

Zeimer, this time the UW kids were rowdy drunks and the UM kids were the ones smoking weed in the stands. Well, at least two were. The tribes were prone to feuding, thankfully most was verbal.

Jeff with one 'f' said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.