October 18, 2005

“I love that Aaron Brown, the way he sucks the flavor out of every word..."

"... and I love the way he mulls. No one mulls the news like Aaron Brown." That's just a quote from Steve Colbert.

The second episode of his new show is on in about an hour. Aren't you excited?

From the somewhat old linked article:
Colbert’s ... fake-news program, “The Colbert Report,” which, starting in October, will air just after the fake news on “The Daily Show.” “It’ll be like O’Reilly segueing into Hannity, Hannity into Greta, Larry King into Aaron Brown,” he said. “I love that Aaron Brown, the way he sucks the flavor out of every word, and I love the way he mulls. No one mulls the news like Aaron Brown.” If “The Daily Show” is faux evening news, “The Colbert Report” will be faux Bill O’Reilly. “The focus will be me, lots of me,” Colbert said. “Occasionally, we’ll turn the camera elsewhere, but only for pacing.” And what sort of presence will “Stephen Colbert” have? “My ambition is to have Stone Phillips’s neck and Geraldo Rivera’s sense of mission.”...

Colbert is forty-one, a native of South Carolina, one of eleven children, the father of three, a suburban guy, and deaf in one ear. “I had this weird tumor as a kid, and they scooped it out with a melon baller.”
Deaf in one ear. I can only think of one other genius who is/was deaf in one ear.

I love the opening credits for "The Colbert Report." The use of the eagle is so disturbing!

Digression: The other day, I was driving around in the countryside and I saw these beautiful birds of prey swooping about. Eagles, I think. I saw one up ahead going at some roadkill, and I was excited at the opportunity to get close to the magnificent bird. As I pulled up next to the roadkill, the bird flew away, and I smelled and saw that the roadkill was a skunk. Imagine thinking a skunk was a tasty treat. I don't understand birds.

15 comments:

reader_iam said...

I AM (excited, that is)--but don't get HBO (have in the past, but not currently through cable). We will be getting satellite later this fall/early winter, but until then, can just vicariously experience such shows as these through ... well, people like YOU, Ann. Please, DO tell ... we throw ourselves upon your mercy.

Ann Althouse said...

Comedy Central is basic cable.

reader_iam said...

Um, not always, and not if you've given up "the box" in some markets.

That said, "D'oh"! Idiot me, for screwing up the source.

My husband is laughing at me ... rightly ... but then, he watches the TV that still has "the box," so is still (I have now found out) a regular Comedy Central watcher.

My punishment for obvious out-of-itness is to retire to HIS territory, to watch the show amid his chuckles at my ... um ... chuckleheadedness.

Steve Donohue said...

Perhaps the greatest genius of all time was deaf in both. And he was a composer!

Ruth Anne Adams said...

Steve Donohue:
Ya know what Beethoven's doing now?

De-composing.

vbspurs said...

Steve Donohue:
Ya know what Beethoven's doing now?

De-composing.


Q: How did you know when Mozart was really sick?

A: He left a movement on the piano.

Q: Why can't you write to Washington anymore?

A: Because he's dead.

First, WHAM!, then Duran Duran now Bad Joke Books. Soon I'll be mentioning Mad-Libs.

"Queen Isabella pawned the royal ____ to finance Columbus' _____ to ________. He gave her a big _____ in return."

It's VH-1's "I Love the 80s" week on Althouse!

Cheers,
Victoria

Rick Lee said...

Yeah, I too was thinking that the birds were probably vultures but I wasn't going to say anything. They look so beautiful in flight but boy are they ugly up close. There's an easy way to distinguish vultures from raptors in flight. Vultures fly with their wings in a slight V-shape (called a dihedral in aeronautical terms) while birds of prey fly with their wings straight across. The V-shape is a more lazy and less maneuverable way of flying. Good for soaring, not so good for catching live prey.

Wade Garrett said...

Imagine what it would be like to have Colbert as your father. . .

Might they refer to Steve Cattrell as "Uncle Steve?"

knox said...

I love the reference to Stone Phillips's neck! That guy can't utter a word without his head bouncing around all over the place. It's like watching a bobble-head doll read the news.

Are you referring to Thomas Edison? He was made deaf in one ear as a child when a train conductor pulled him onto a train by his ear. (I remember this from a 6th grade report... it made a huge impression on me.) anyway...

Ann Althouse said...

Knoxgirl: No, I wasn't referring to Edison, but that description made me think of the fictional character George Bailey in "It's a Wonderful Life." It's a wonderful plot device, deaf in one ear.

I'm Full of Soup said...

Your review of Monday's show got me to watch last night's show. Can't remember whenI have laughed out loud so many times during a 30 minute show. He does great affectations of Bill O'Reilly. And maybe that will be The Word tonight!

And don't forget Colbert gave out tonight's Powerball numbers...5,6, 21, 33, & 87. You have to pick your own Powerball # . And I don't think the numbers really go up to 87?

bearbee said...

*Imagine thinking a skunk was a tasty treat*

Imagine thinking limburger *gag* cheese was a tasty treat....

Jeff with one 'f' said...

I think it's great that Colbert is enjoying some much-deservered success here. But I maintain that his gifts are largely unused, gifts that he showcased to hilarious effect in the immortal Strangers WIth Candy.

If you like South Park you really should check it out. It makes the Daily SHow look narrow and pedestrian (and safe!) by comparison.

Troy said...

I have a new found respect for Stone Phillips after that show. They replayed the Leslie Stahl one later last night and she was a good sport too.

I also have Colbert to thank for the image of an "unholy sexual congress" between Chewbacca and the Statue of Liberty.

SWBarns said...

Somehow hearing lost saving a brother from drowning advances a plot line so much more than "scooped out with a mellon baller."