June 9, 2007

Philolsophers.

Because lolcats are too shallow for you: philolsophers. Via Language Log, which is trying to figure it all out:
Anthropologists are going to ask, why did people way back in the early 21st century find these mangled and misspelled captions so funny? U can haz undRstand lolcats?...

...Why did the bar girls who told us these jokes fall about laughing at them? They admitted it made no sense. The line about soap and radio was just some sort of internal private lolcat for them. Until today I never knew why, but now I do, because after I posted the first version of this it was only an hour before a Language Log reader pointed me to the Wikipedia article...
So let's check the Wikipedia article. Well, that explains "no soap, radio." Wikipedia explains lolcats here: ".... See also: cuteness."



SEE ALSO: This one. This too. And this.

12 comments:

Ron said...

Jeremy Bentham -- original LOLCAT.

mtrobertsattorney said...

Ah, Jeremy Bentham--now we see what his pursuit of pleasure got him.

knox said...

Puts me in mind of cuteoverload. I love it with its kittehs, dewds, and head tilts. Best eveh:

http://mfrost.typepad.com/cute_overload/2007/06/eef_looks_could.html

Curtiss said...

lolcats: I laughed till I cried.

Maxine Weiss said...

Paris Hilton. More Paris Hilton, please.

Your readers are demanding it.

halojones-fan said...

Children speak in broken English, and children are cute, therefore broken English is cute.

Remember "ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US"?

Hell, go further back than that--remember Jose Jimenez?

Even FURTHER back--remember blackface? (Well, probably not because most of us weren't alive when that was common, but you get the idea.)

lolcat is the modern version of people laughing at "I'se gwine da fix up'a din-dins!"

Bob said...

One of my LJ buddies found a lolgods community, and I myself suggested he start a lolsaints group, giving him the example of St. Lawrence on his gridiron saying im in ur kitchens warmin my bunz.

Even Slate had a story on the lolcats. I think that the phenomenon has already jumped the shark, or will in the next month or so.

knox said...

time to start an lolshark group

Eli Blake said...

So if LOL is a cat, then is ROFLMAO a panther?

Ann Althouse said...

Halojones: One word: Borat.

Ryan said...

Don't forget www.ytmnd.com (the Brian Peppers lolcats are the best).

Did someone ask for more Paris?

http://hiltoncryface.ytmnd.com/

bs said...

moar paris plez?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags
/lolparis/