August 1, 2009

Sports headlines toy with the brains of nonfans.

I've long been annoyed by the NYT blog called "Bats." I was bitten by a bat once and had to get rabies shots. And I've had other run-ins with the leathery-winged fiends. Actually, I love them when they are outside, eating mosquitoes and so forth. I might like reading a blog about bats. But Bats is not about bats. It's about baseball. (Maybe if I cared about baseball, I'd still hate the blog title "Bats," either because it disrespects pitchers or because I would still think it was about bats.)

Now, today, The Washington Post has a front-page teaser: "Do Juicers Belong in the Hall of Fame?" And I'm thinking, so there's an Appliances Hall of Fame? Where is it? What was the first inductee? Refrigerator! I'll bet it's refrigerator! But I click to the article —which is (obscurely) re-titled "Do Juicers Belong in Canton?" — and see that it's about drug users and the Baseball Football Hall of Fame. Oh, I don't know. But if there's an Appliances Hall of Fame, it's scraping to low too let in the juicers.

13 comments:

Ron said...

ummm...Canton is the pro football hall of fame. Cooperstown is the pro baseball hall of fame.

I nominate Sal A. Mander for the Appliance Hall of Fame.

Unknown said...

I second Sal A. Mander and nominate Dandy Dishwasher.

SteveR said...

The answer is no, BTW.

Ann Althouse said...

Thanks, Ron, for pointing out how little I care about sports. I do know that the Baseball Hall of Fame is in Cooperstown, and I have even been there! I was puzzled to see "Canton," but not enough to think to the next step.

Meade said...

Where have you gone, Mr. Kitchen Appliance Salesman? A nation turns its overly starbucked eyes to you.

Randy said...

This nominee might fit in both the football and appliance Hall of Fame.

SteveR said...

Ron Popeil is in there.

amba said...

Bats. Balls!

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Its a shame about big papi.. but to me it doesn't change a thing about 2004.

Even if it came about that way it was a hell of a win.. we waited too long.

you could say that the Sox win in 2004 was the Bush 2000 of baseball. maybe.

SteveR said...

you could say that the Sox win in 2004 was the Bush 2000 of baseball. maybe.


maybe JFK 1960

Automatic_Wing said...

Everyone was juicing in 2004 (even the Pirates!) so it all cancels out and the Sox still win.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

thanks Maguro.

Jeremy said...

Ann = DUH.