July 26, 2005

The most beautiful skyscaper ever?

I say it is. The brilliant Santiago Calatrava has proposed a swirled point for Chicago -- to be the tallest building in America: the Fordham Spire. It's a residential building and, being very skinny, it will have full-floor units. Don't you want to live there? It would really be worth scraping together the $5 million it would take. How truly dramatic!

Donald Trump, who scaled back his own plan for a 150-story Chicago tower to a mere 90 stories after 9/11, is saying "Nobody in his right mind would build a building of that height in today's horrible world" and "I don't think this is a real project ... It's a total charade." Ha! Jealous!

Build it!

6 comments:

Joaquin said...

Donald has gone soft on this one and I'm surprised by his wimpy tone.
I will agree with him that this project looks like a charade as it doesn't have the "horsepower" (financing) behind it.
Also, I've live on a 25th floor and I can't imagine living higher.
Skinny building in Chicago (Windy City?)?????? No thanks!
Call your next case!

Sloanasaurus said...

It said in the article that the cost of the new building is $500 million (for a brand new building!!). Isn't the UN refurbishment project supposed to cost $1 billion? What a joke.

Ron said...

looks like a giant "screw you" to the terrorists! and the wind!

knox said...

"I don't think this is a real project," Mr. Trump said of the Fordham Spire. "It's a total charade."

jealous.

knox said...

er, sorry... I didn't notice I was repeating what you'd already said.

Ann Althouse said...

Michael: Thanks. Here are my Milwaukee Art Museum pics.