June 4, 2006

Convergences.

When John was in town we watched the movie "Coffee and Cigarettes" one evening, and then the next day we listened to that Rufus Wainwright song "Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk." Later, I was in the café and didn't like the music they were piping in, so I put in my earphones and fired up Pandora and meant to type in "Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk" to get to some more music like that. Mixing in the movie title and influenced by that coffee I was drinking, I typed in "Cigarettes and Coffee." Pandora turned up a song I'd never heard before called "Cigarettes and Coffee" -- by Otis Redding. I wasn't meaning to listen to that kind of music but I liked it well enough.

I'd been too busy this week to do my Wednesday morning drive to listen to "Theme Time Radio With Bob Dylan," but I went to check the website to see when the replays of the new show were, and I saw the theme this week is "Coffee," and one of the songs on the playlist was "Cigarettes and Coffee" by Otis Redding. Now When it's time for one of the replays, so I'm going to get in my car and go for a drive. If I kill myself in an accident, be sure to say she died doing something she loved, and link to this post. Have a cup of coffee and talk about convergences, including whatever it was my car converged with.

UPDATE, after hearing the show: More convergences. On the death theme, Bob mentions how Otis died, converging by airplane with a lake here in Madison, Wisconsin. And he plays a clip from the movie "Coffee and Cigarettes," the part where Iggy Pop tells Tom Waits he ordered coffee for him and then worries if that's okay.

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Shall we also converge your bones into some sort of coffee-themed memorial?

I love the little threads of coincidence in life like the one you've described.

Ruth Anne Adams said...

Do you take your coffee with cremation?

Simon Kenton said...

Here is someone who died doing what he loved - swimming Cataract Canyon on high water in a lifejacket and a wetsuit.

chuck b. said...

Can we please work more chocolate back in to this convergence?

SippicanCottage said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I like that Rufus Wainwright song. I also like chocholate milk.

I was just reading earlier today that Rufus Wainwright is the son of two famous folk-singers. I don't know much about folk-singers though, so I never heard of them.

Ann Althouse said...

He's the son of Loudon Wainwright III and Kate McGarrigle. I have several of LW's albums and have seen him in concert a few times. He was quite popular in the 1970s. His father, Loudon Wainwright, Jr., was a prominent political columnist in the 60s, in Life magazine, I think. LW has some really brilliant lyrics. Here's his website.

bill said...

Loudon is wonderful in concert. In addition to marrying one of the McGarrigle sisters, at one time he was also married to one of the Roches. One might wonder if there is a 70s female folk duo he has not made time with.

From last winter, I highly recommend the excellent McGarrigle Christmas Hour with Kate and Anna, along with Rufus Wainwright and his sister Martha Wainwright. Martha has appeared on albums of Loudon and Rufus and last year finally issued a full-length CD of her own. She, too, is very good.