October 25, 2008

Tom Cruise roasts Matt Lauer.

So Matt Lauer got one of those Friars Club roasts, and you wouldn't care -- would you? -- but Tom Cruise showed his adorable face, and he was hysterically funny:
"You know, I was just taking his advice. He told me, 'Nobody wants to hear about your dopey movie. Go crazy. People will love you for it.'

"Matt's great at giving advice. When Katie asked him if she should leave the 'Today' show for CBS, he said, 'Absolutely, you should definitely do that. People will love you for it.'

"Jay Leno was No. 1, but Matt told [NBC exec] Jeff Zucker to cut his contract. 'You'll be ahead of the curve before his ratings go down and you'll look like a genius. People will love you for it.' Leno's ratings never went down.

"A few months ago, he was talking to O.J. Simpson and he said, 'Juice, those guys in Vegas have all your stuff. Don't be a p---y, just go there and take it. Trust me, Juice. People will love you for it.'"...

"Matt and I are so close now, that if we can't be together, we talk on the phone three, four times a day. I'll call him up and ask, 'Are you watching this?' And he'll just say 'yeah,' and we'll watch the whole show together on the phone."

More here:
Cruise ended with a toast: "To our friend who we wake up to every morning only because we had the channel on NBC before we fell asleep." He then told Lauer, "Lose my number, you glib putz." And then signed off by finally saying, "Cruise out!" which was kind of unspeakably awesome. Lauer jumped up to the mike: "Tom, can you stay? We can get a booster seat."

Later, Lauer explained that he'd never been prepared for what a sensation the infamous 2005 interview would be, until he went home, "and someone told me what the word glib actually means. That burned my fucking ass!" Lauer also announced that he and Cruise have an interview scheduled for December. "So officially we have now buried the hatchet," he said. "But just between us, if he pulls that shit again, I will fuck him up. The guy is, like, five-foot-three. I will drop a building on his ass."

Do you love it when Lauer talks dirty to Tom?

This needs to be on YouTube, but it's not, so let's go back to Tom's wonderful old performance on "The Today Show" -- which will help you if you've lost track of the "glib" reference:



Ah! That never gets old.

15 comments:

Host with the Most said...

It's the sexual tension between those two . . .

Palladian said...

See how effective "fuck" can be?! Celebrities understand! Literary editors understand! And now it's time for you to understand! Can you imagine Walter Cronkite or Edward R. Murrow talking about dropping buildings on their interviewee's asses? Can you imagine them talking about getting their fucking asses burned? Of course you can't! That's why they're losers! They didn't understand the brazen, virile power of FUCK!

Again, say it with me, all ye thinkers and poets and scribes: F-U-C-K! FUCK FUCK FUCK!

Freeman Hunt said...

Cruise is charming and funny with the roast. Lauer is weird.

Host with the Most said...

I can say "fuck" all the time - well, not all the time, you know what I mean - but my upbringing still makes me unable to say "f*rt" out loud. I was raised with "toot". Even that makes me queasy. I'd rather just ignore human gas altogether.

The power of nurture.

EnigmatiCore said...

"and someone told me what the word glib actually means."

Matt Lauer had to be told this? In 2005?

Wow. Jessica Simpson, when you get done with Tony Romo, I have found your soul mate.

Joan said...

Isn't it bromantic?

TitusonlyTops said...

I hope those two got a room after that interview.

bill said...

Go see movie "Tropic Thunder." Tom Cruise almost steals the movie from Robert Downey, Jr.

ricpic said...

Tom Cruise using the term glib putz when addressing Matt Lauer is as inauthentic as Obama bowling 300.

ricpic said...

Authentic, not inauthentic. Oy.

bill said...

Tom Cruise scene, with dancing, from "Tropic Thunder."

TMink said...

I am confused as to why the F word is acceptable but the N word is not.

Aside from that, I love the F word, when I use it I know I am really angry.

Trey

Christy said...

Nope! Nope! Nope! Boycotting Cruise since he got the boycott on the South Park Scientology episode.

Roger Sweeny said...

They're both entertainers. They're both actors. They use each other to make money. What they really think of each other is ... irrelevant? ... unknowable? ... not really important?

Ann Althouse said...

Bill, thanks. That was soooo weird.