September 18, 2015

Using makeup to create the look that you've been up all night engaging in dissolute behavior.

"It’s a look you get from being out all night, sweating — without looking too undone."
To achieve that perennial party-girl look, Nars kept skin clean of foundation and concealer, instead opting for a touch of greasy shine at the eyes, cheekbones and under the eyes. (“Vaseline is the best,” he said.) With a touch of shadow, he added some darkness under the eyes for a messy, day-after makeup effect....
This is the sort of thing that keeps coming back because it's something only young people can do, and anything "young" will always seem like an option. It made me think of the big "heroin chic" trend of the mid-90s ("a look... characterized by... dark circles underneath the eyes... emaciated features and androgyny... a reaction against the 'healthy' and vibrant look of models such as Cindy Crawford and Claudia Schiffer.") I was already reading the NYT, so I searched the NYT archive for "heroin chic" and came up with a Maureen Dowd column from 1996 — from the height of the presidential campaign:
In this fast-paced, channel-surfing, gigabyte blur of a world, Bob Dole wants to slow things down. Way down.... Mr. Dole presents himself as the avatar of a better time, a time of moral rectitude, unlocked doors, clean movies and Glenn Miller...

[H]e decried ''Pulp Fiction,'' though he hasn't seen it, and ''Trainspotting,'' though he hasn't seen it, for encouraging ''the romance of heroin." ''A fascination with risk and death,'' he said, denouncing heroin chic. ''The attraction of self-destruction -- if you can believe it.''
Dole was portrayed at the time as hopelessly old, a veritable corpse. Oddly, it's 19 years later, and the man is still alive (and joking about running for President).

ADDED: I'm seeing a connection between this and the earlier post today quoting 70s-era feminist Susan Brownmiller cautioning women about drinking too much and getting "trapped in sex situations."

38 comments:

wild chicken said...

Dole was a funny guy, but the smartasses at snl had never heard of him apparently.

Henry said...

Now, every time I read about one of these wannabe provocateurs ("We’re breaking all the cosmetic rules") I think, "yeah, but did you ever saw your neighbor's house in half?"

rehajm said...

Simulated hot mess.

Virgil Hilts said...

Fiona did it better in Criminal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFOzayDpWoI

Todd said...

Yep, cause that "I was out all night slutting it up and don't even have time to shower before I go to work/play again" is just the look all self-respecting guys are looking for in a life partner and all businesses are hoping to hire onto their staff!

Also, that first model looks more like a H addict than a model but I guess that too is the look they are going for in high fashion...

Freeman Hunt said...

I want the woman who was recreating advertisements, substituting herself for the models, to do this.

traditionalguy said...

Look at that face! I know all the world's a stage but who would want to see that face as President?

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

There's a lot of bad advice out there, much of it aimed precisely at people who are desperate.

holdfast said...

I didn't realize it was a deliberate look. I just assumed that those people were unslept and hungover.

Wilbur said...

These are people who need a real job.

Or better, a stretch in the Marine Corps would do them a world of good.

lgv said...

It's a Kate Moss after dark look.

Nichevo said...

Isn't this the classic fresh-fucked look? Should have a little smear of white at the corner of her mouth.

madAsHell said...

It's called the Freshly Fucked look. Usually achieved while walking home with your panties in your hip pocket.

tim in vermont said...

I have to say the girl I pictured from your description was much more beautiful

Wince said...

Beats working.

Etienne said...

Chignon I dare you to pronounce it without feeling silly.

Bay Area Guy said...

Memo to boys and young men:

Stay away from crazy, maladjusted women. It's not worth it, too many headaches, too much drama.

Nichevo said...

Coupe,

Lemme help you out here.

Chignon is French for "I'm going to fuck you very, very hard."

holdfast said...

@Nichevo Or in her hair.

averagejoe said...

Dole was right about "Trainspotting"- A despicable dramedy mining heroin addiction for laughs. What's funnier than an addict wrapped in a sheet shitting himself at a fancy dinner party? When someone grabs the sheet and the feces flies all over everyone's faces! HAHAHAHA.... get it?

Graham Powell said...

I don't have to put on makeup to get this look, all I have to do is stay up past 10pm.

Laslo Spatula said...

Sometimes you wear the eleven PM Make-up, sometimes you EARN the eleven PM Make-up.

Hot Bitches at 11:30 don't need your advice.

Hot Bitches at 2:30 AM: the Bukkake Look.

I am Laslo.

Rae said...

The next fashion fad will be "passed around by the juggalos an ICP concert".

chuck said...

The look won't be complete until they get the smell right. Until then it's just a costume.

Nichevo said...

@holdfast You can pull out if you want to, I haven't any such notion. But then, accidents happen, and more to the point, there is the decorative element.

Quaestor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sprezzatura said...

Speaking of Dole, the libs did come up with a funny version of his bumper sticker.

Presumably Madison, like Seattle, had more than a few "Role Hemp" stickers.

Sprezzatura said...

I guess some of those folks may not have been libs. Libertarians, too.

el polacko said...

the best way to get the look is to actually party all night long, not to apply vaseline. what the heck has happened to young people ? these losers need to get out there and drink, drug, and fuck...just don't do it on my lawn.

SGT Ted said...

I already look like that when I wake up in the morning.

Nichevo said...

Oh, sorry, now I'm jealous. No matter how hard I tried it, I always look like a million bucks in the morning.

Nichevo said...

Of course, with inflation...

Nichevo said...

Ba-dump-bump! Try the waitresses, tip your week, I'll be here all veal.

Nichevo said...

I try to always shun Althouse links, but as a line to what I imagine this,

Google the following: Ugg Carolyn Murphy

Or see

http://fashion.globetrottingwino.me/?p=1233796

A bruised, tender, ripe peach...

Laura said...

a-ha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fLHoMOnie4

Laslo Spatula said...

Vaseline on the face?

I usually apply it to her other end.


I am Laslo.

Drew W said...

I've been noticing this TV commercial for Silk Vanilla Almond Milk that features a woman with the most messed-up morning hair I've ever seen in an ad. I'm just not sure if we're supposed to laugh at her or empathize with her.

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7i3M/silk-vanilla-almond-milk-popular

Nichevo said...

9/19/15, 8:09 AM Laslo, you use lube? Just an old softy after all. But then in your case, the ATM is probably how it gets on their faces.